ASA Career Opportunities
If you are interested in any of AIDS Services of Austin's career opportunities, send a completed agency application & cover letter via mail to Human Resources, AIDS Services of Austin, PO Box 4874, Austin, TX 78765; via fax to 512-452-3299; or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
At A Glance:
Position Title: Staff Dentist
Monday, Tuesday, and/or Friday; 16 hours per week
AIDS Services of Austin’s Jack Sansing Dental Clinic provides routine and emergency dental care for people living with HIV and AIDS. Services include oral examination, treatment planning, oral surgery, root canal treatment, periodontal therapy, restorative dentistry, removable prosthodontics, treatment of infection, and preventative oral health care. Under the supervision of the Clinical Director, the Staff Dentist provides direct patient care in a compassionate manner. Working conditions involve direct contact with people with HIV or AIDS and possible exposure to infectious diseases and blood.
- Perform all duties of a dentist as per state license, and use referral consultation and physician consultation as needed.
- Complete chart entries reflecting procedures done, medications used, etc., in a thorough and professional manner.
- Communicate with front desk accurately regarding procedures completed.
- Develop and present comprehensive treatment plans to patients who have a limited understanding or experience with preventative oral health care.
- Perform fillings, crowns, removable appliance therapy, root canal therapy, extractions, biopsies, and immediate dentures in a proficient and efficient manner.
- Recommend patient follow-up activities to Patient Navigator for patients with complex treatment/follow-up care or limited understanding of aftercare procedures.
- Supervise activities of ancillary staff as needed, and delegate duties allowed by the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Clinical Director.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in establishing and maintaining positive rapport with patients and in providing patient education
- Ability to relate pleasantly and professionally with patients of diverse cultures, ethnicities, socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientations, and sexual and/or gender identifications
- Ability to demonstrate good judgment, maintain strict confidentiality standards, and adhere to professional standards as defined by state and federal regulations
- Ability to take all precautionary steps to ensure the protection and integrity of protected health information
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with agency policies, procedures, and guidelines
- Ability to work well independently with limited supervision as well as collaboratively with a team
- Ability to maintain professional liability insurance at levels acceptable to agency Ability to use standard dental equipment
- Knowledge of standard precautions of infection control and sterilization techniques
- Expertise in surgical extractions and biopsies
- Skill in operating various office equipment, such as personal computer, calculator, copy machine, facsimile machine, and telephone system
- Ability to perform routine walking, repeated standing, bending, lifting, reaching, and stooping during the course of day
Education and Experience:
- Graduate degree in dentistry required
- DDS or DMD and current Texas dental license required
- Nitrous oxide supervision certificate required
- Current DEA and DPS permits to allow dispensing controlled substances required
- Oral sedation permit helpful
- Bilingual skills (English and Spanish) helpful
- Knowledge of HIV disease helpful
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. ASA is an equal opportunity employer.
Submit an agency application, cover letter, resume, and a copy of dental degree and license via mail to AIDS Services of Austin, Attention: Human Resources, P.O. Box 4874, Austin, TX 78765; via fax to 512-452-3299; or via e-mail to email@example.com.
Closing date: Open until filled